Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Post #3
In 'A Gathering of Old Men' the major theme is accusing. When they found out that Mathu killed Beau, Candy had Snookum go and tell the old men to get their guns and meet at Mathu's house. Candy says, "I want you to run, and I don't want you to stop running. I want you to go tell Rufe and Reverend Jameson and Corrine and the rest of them to gather at Mathu's house right away"(5). She did this so that Mapes couldn't just accuse him of killing Beau. She made it more of a fair trial. Also, when Mapes thought he had it all figured out uncle Billy admitted to killing Beau after Mapes accused Mathu. He puts it as "How come you so far from home, Uncle Billy?" Mapes asked him. 'I kilt him,' the old man said, without raising his eyes from Mapes's chest. His bald head never stopped bobbing"(67). Mapes accuses and he thinks he knows what happened and who did what. That is why the main theme is accusing.
Labels:
cool kid1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with cool kid 1. you make a great point everyone is pointing the finger at everyone.I believe that people should just stand up if they did it and suffer the consequences.Life is all about choices and all choices have consequences.So sometimes you just have to be a man and suffer the consequences
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Cool kid 1. Though couldn't the theme also be seen as strength in unity? I see where the accusation theme comes from and honestly i didn't think that indepth to that part, but to me the theme found in your quote on what Candy said to Snookum, "I want you to go tell Rufe and Reverand Jameson and Corrine and the rest of them to gather at Mathu's house right away"(5. I saw it more as she realizes that she can help those she cares about, but can't do it alone. She would need multiple people to toss blame and accusations between each other to keep the officer at bay. I hope this idea may have broadened your look on this, feel free to inform me of any ideas.
ReplyDelete__________________________________________________
ReplyDelete