Thursday, February 10, 2011

In the book Gathering of Old Men by Earnest Gaines the setting is a big deal in this book. I believe that that the setting is so strong that it can be another character. I say that because without the setting then the story would be completly different. The setting is down in the south and the time is when racsim is technically over but most of the white people still have problems with African Americans. So if the setting was not in the south where there are racist people then the story of the book would not make sense. So thats why the setting is so important in this book.

5 comments:

  1. You have put great points in this but i dont think you have put enough detail into the book all the way. But besides not enough detail on the book i think it is good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all rascism was never "technically over" slavery was. We still have rascism today..Plus rascism isn't only in the south its all over the world. I agree with you though that this story would not have the effect it does if it was placed anywhere else. I think the setting of the south capitalises on the racial tension between the plantation owners and the former slaves. This helps us understand why someone might want to shoot beau and why all of the old men are willing to help out and don't mind if they get in trouble or possibly killed. BRR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more Mr. Smithy. I beleive the book would be radically different if it was not set in the south. Without it the reader could possibly lose a connection to the characters regarding what they have been through with slavery and racial tension between the two different groups. Without this connection I feel the reader could find him or herself lost when taking into behalf the thoughts of the reasoning for killing Beau.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very true the book is all about racism and if the book wasn't placed in the south then it wouldn't make any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Pebble Smithy- You've done a good job of explaining why the setting is important, but that was not the prompt. The prompt wanted you to discuss the development of the setting. Does the setting have a personality, was it well developed, etc. Make sure that you carefully consider what it is I am asking you to do with my prompts! :o)
    _________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.