Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A gathering Setting

Ernest J Gaines really does paint a permant image in your mind with all of the great detail he gives.the setting of the story begins in the 1970 where blacks were free but still mis treated. The men in the book strive to stand up for some thing in this would they live in because they have been getting picked on and harassed there whole lives."Griffin was probably afraid of anyone younger"(Gaines). Mapes said this because griffin has bee scared all of his life and that is why he is still getting picked on when hes eighty years old.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with most of your post. The only thing I am wondering is why you included Griffin being picked on when he's eighty kind of goes off topic and does not tell how that part helps paint the setting. I do like how you included how the blacks were free but still mistreated. This gives a good picture on how things would look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um im confused on where your getting that Griffin is 80 years old, it says in the book he is in his 20s. This blog might have made sence if you used a diffrent character but you didnt so it dosen't. I do however agree with the first part about the imagery in the story it is vivid and it puts the reader right in there with the old men. No matter what race you are you can feel the tension between the white and black peoples in the story. This helps you better understand the reasoning behind their actions. BRR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand where you were going with the reasoning for being picked on evenwhen he was eighty? I feel that possibly a choice of another character could have captured the image for a reason for the actions in which they have committed. You could have used a quote that further explained how the character was discriminated against and how he felt towards the opposing race. This could have further gave the the more of a sense of background to why the all of the men would band together for a single purpose that they all felt the same way about Beau or someone like him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.